Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cream of ____ Soup, take 2

What's for dinner, White chicken enchiladas!
What's in the dinner, homemade cream of mushroom soup!
The first post on cream of ___ soup I posted a recipe but it did not get thick enough. Now that my mix was gone I decided to try another. I looked for one that had more thickeners in it. Once again, allrecipes to the rescue. I prefer to measure ingredients in weight because then you hadn't have 4 measuring cups and spoons dirty. So, as I made this recipe I scaled it in weight. I made one batch of celery and one batch plain. That way I could make plain for potato, broccoli, mushroom ect. One recipe fits into a pint size canning jar. I love storing stuff in canning jars. Cheap, buy in bulk, see through, glass, and homey.
Homemade cream of ____ soup mix.
2 c powdered milk, 5 oz
1 c cornstarch, 3 oz
1/2 c potato flakes, 1 oz
1 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1/8 t pepper
1/2 t marjoram
Put ingredients in the food processor and mix until blended. To make whisk 1 1/3 c broth and 1/2 c of mix in a small pot. Heat over med high heat, whisking until thick. Remove from heat and it thickens up beautifully. Make sure your broth is not hot because the cornstarch will not incorporate but clump up instead
For celery soup add 2 T dried celery to the mix in the food processor or simply saute 1/4 c, add mix, add broth, and whisk until thick. To dry celery it is really easy. You can dehydrate it or chop it finely and leave it out until it is dry.
For mushroom soup add 2 T dry mushrooms or simply saute 1/4 c, add mix, add broth, and whisk until thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment