Search This Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

What's for dinner? Chicken Pot Pie
Guy has asked for weeks that I make him a meat pie. Well folks, today was the day. I am so thankful that Jesus laid on my heart to make this meal since my dear husband will be working on my car tonight.I put chicken leg quarters and a cup of water in the crock pot this morning and then I was committed. Once the chicken is done I removed the chicken and poured the broth into a dish. I let it cool then skimmed fat from the top. Then I have MSG free broth to make my own sauce. I will make a salad topped with tomatoes from my sisters garden to go with our dinner.
Chicken Pot Pie
2 unbaked pie crust
1/3 c butter
1/3 c flour
1/4 c diced onion
1 3/4 broth
2/3 c milk
1# frozen bag mixed veggies thawed and drained
1 c chopped chicken
salt/pepper
1 t thyme
Melt a bit of the butter and saute the onions. When tender melt the rest of the butter. Sprinkle in flour until you have something that looks like peanut butter, you may need more flour. Then whisk in the liquids. Bring to a boil and watch closely because milk burns easily. Then add the veggies and meat. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour over pie crust and top with another. Cut vent holes and bake at 350 until hot and bubbly. Tip: I like to make my own crust so for the top of take balls of crumbly dough and pat then down making a bunch of small biscuits. This is how Missy Bailey wins the heart of her bread lovin' husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment