Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Applesauce

What is in the canner, Applesauce!
I feel that my Pennsylvania Dutch roots come out this time of year. I feel the need for work frolics and wool slippers. This is the third time I have made apple sauce. The first adventure I was joined by Jamie DeJong, then Briana Taylor, and how fun to spend this year with my own daughter Eva. The pride that comes out as my girl puts on her apron with glee and spins that apple peeler. For the record I knew I would not have the energy to do all this in one day. So, Eva and I made it last night and today during nap time I canned it. This was best because I would have been a nut with all that hot stuff and my girl near by.
Spiced Applesauce
3# apples peeled, cored, and sliced
1/3 to 1/2 c sugar
1/8 t each cinnamon, cardamon, and ginger
2/3 c water
Put everything in a stock pot, stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 8-10 minutes until the apples are tender. Mash with a potato masher or I used the blender carefully so I would still have chunky sauce.

To can put hot applesauce in hot jars, 1/2 inch head space, wipe rim, top with hot lid, and then screw on rim. Process in water bath for 20 minutes. Recipe only makes 1 full qt jar so I times the recipe by 5 and got 11 pint jars plus a little for sampling :-)
The samples were enjoyed by Eva who thought it was lip smacking good!

1 comment: