Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner

What's for dinner, Thanksgiving?
Every year we get a free ($18 worth) turkey from Garmin. We have never used it for a holiday but instead roast it and use the meat in casseroles and soups. So, this is our second turkey this year because the sales at Christmas are just too good not to buy two. Here is how I cook my turkeys:

1 bird
2 t kosher salt
1 t thyme
1 t onion powder
1 t pepper
1/2 garlic powder
2 dashes of cayenne
Mix up the spices and rub all over your bird. Put it in a electric roaster at 375 for 13-18 minutes per pound. So, my 14# bird will be done between 3 and 4 hours. I will check it at hour 3 so we don't have a dry turkey like on Christmas Vacation ;-)

Tonight we will have the turkey with stuffing, homemade apple sauce, and baked sweet potatoes.

The rest of the turkey I will divid into 2 c amounts and put in freezer bags. I will plan on 4 meals from this meat, but most likely once I start measuring I should have more. Here are some meal ideas:
turkey enchiladas
white turkey chili
turkey pot pie or turkey and biscuits
turkey and dumplings
curry turkey salad

1 comment:

  1. your amazing....I just wish I had room for an electic roaster. How long in the oven?

    ReplyDelete