Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Baby food, baby porridge

Porridge is not just for Goldilocks or the three bears but it is for the whole family. My babies love porridge! I have posted about the breakfast porridge I make during the winter but here is the goods I make for my little ones until they can chew grains.
Here is Eva helping me grind grains with a hand crank grain mill.
Her and a friend helped me so we got a lot done. This mill is super easy!
In the last post I showed brown rice, which is a first food, and from there I move on to oats. Either steel cut or old fashion. I love using mason jars and at hardware stores like Ace you can find plastic lids like the one showed here. I put scotch tape on the lid to mark the instructions.
Porridge
1 c water
1/4 c ground grain
Mix together in big pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, lid, and cook 10 minutes. Take off heat and whisk really good to break up the lumps. I use a plastic whisk so I don't scratch my enamel. I usually double so I have enough for several days.
Other grains you can use: quinoa, millet, amaranth, barley,
Once cooled I store in glass containers. 1/4 to 1/2 cup serving is a good amount for the first few months. I like having some in the red containers ready to grab for church nights or babysitters. The blue I will scoop from on nights we are home.

This is how I do porridge. I read Super Baby Food by Ruth Yarin when Eva was a baby. I love it! She is my inspiration for these post. I would say most of this is her information with my own spin on it. I give her all the props.

No comments:

Post a Comment