Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Cast Iron

Tip of the day- Cast Iron!
I have wanted cast iron in my kitchen for some time. Due to the greatness of God I have 4 skillets and a dutch oven. The dutch oven is enamel coated and washes very easily. My skillets are all pretty well seasoned but there are still times I need a little extra help getting them clean. I have a very stiff bristle scrubber which gets most things off. With baked on food you can ball up foil and scrub it off. Every now and then I like to get them really clean. Put some extra virgin olive oil and coarse salt in the pan. Then scrub with the foil. I then rinse it out, pat dry, then put more oil in it and set in on the stove. I get the pan nice and hot then whirl the oil around. You are set for some time now. I do the same if there is a rust spot.
I read in a book once that it is really good to "burn" your cast iron. This old lady would burn her leaves once and year. She would put her skillet in the fire, she swears by this.

No comments:

Post a Comment