Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Aluminum

Tip of the day- aluminum!
I have discussed the dangers of MSG in our food but another food additive that concerns me is aluminum. I drink from glass or a stainless steel bottle (Sigg bottles are aluminum and the older ones have BPA). I cook in cast iron or pyrex. What you will not find is aluminum pots or pans.
Another way that most Americans expose themselves to aluminum everyday in through deodorant. I switched to natural aluminum-free kinds but they did not work for me. So, I make my own! 1/2 C. cornstarch, 1/4 C. baking powder, and 10-20 drops of tea tree oil. Mix it up and put it in a shaker. I shower every morning so when I get out of the shower I dont dry my armpits, I powder them with deodorant. Some friends use a salt stick or natural deodorant and then the powder for extra protection.
I thought that by using the above listed items I was making good choices for my family in an aluminum free life. I am finding out I was wrong. Baking powder, not soda, has aluminum. So, I have pasted a list of foods we buy that contain it. Interesting note, the salt McDonald's uses on their fries has it too.You may wonder what is wrong with it or you may not believe there is an issue. I feel that if we can make changes to get back to pre 1970 food production, we can change a lot of things going wrong with our health. The two leading illnesses from aluminum is breast cancer and alzheimer's disease.

http://home.earthlink.net/~joannefstruve/_wsn/page2.html
Foods made with aluminized baking powder*, self-rising flour*, and salt. The following are some of these products:
Microwave popcorn
Salted snacks
Hot cocoa mixes
Coffee creamers
Pickles and relish
*Flour tortillas
*Pizza crust
*Muffins
*Doughnuts
*Cookies
*Pancakes
*Waffles
*Cupcakes
*Cakes
*Baking mixes
*Brownies
*Pastries
*Corn bread
*Banana bread
*Carrot bread
*Dipping batter for fried foods

No comments:

Post a Comment