Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cont. Meal Plan

Continuing on the topic of planning out meals, which is key. If you dont know what you are going to cook, and dont have it on a list, you are simply throwing away your money at the store.
The choice of where to shop comes into play as well. I shop first at Aldi, then Price Chopper, and I watch the adds through the month for supper great deals at the other stores.
Decide what your goals are. I made a choice to budget $1 per day per person for groceries. I also made the choice to limit meat, 1-2 chicken meals and usually 1 burger meal per month. You may think we are being deprived but quite the contrary. Wait until next week's topic on lentils! I also decided that we need to eat fish. So, I made the choice that Thursday's is fish night. That way 4 meals a month are already done.
I plan 4-5 meals per week and make sure their are plenty of leftovers. I buy 6 heads of romain lettuce at that one trip a month to Aldi and I tell you what, they will stay good the whole month. I once did an experiment, I had 1 last 7 weeks in my crisper draw. This way we have salad through the month. Put on your plan what veggie is going with your meal or you will not eat them.
Beware of Costco. There are very few good deals there. Gas, milk, and a free lunch or snack of samples are they only constant winners. I am a cloth diapering, breastfeeding mom so I dont know about the stuff in the baby department.

No comments:

Post a Comment