Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Brown Rice

Tip of the day- brown rice!
I love brown rice and it really is good for you. A major problem with it is in the amount of time it takes to cook it. There is also the energy it takes. Here is how I cook it that cuts down on both of these things. This method works for both short grain and long grain brown rice. I prefer long grain.

Combined the rice and water in a pot that has a lid. There should be 1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups of water. I make 3 or 4 cups of rice at a time (then I have dinner and rice for porridge ready). Set the heat to high and bring to a boil uncovered. Then place the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low. Cook the rice for 20 minutes...no peeking. Then turn off the heat and let it set for 10 more minutes, longer is fine..no peeking.

That is it! Instructions that come with rice tell you to simmer for 50 minutes, that is too much. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment