Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Substitutions

Tip of the day- Substitutions!
If I have said it once, I will say it a thousand times, the less you go to the store... the less you spend. Making what you have work for you takes a bit of thinking sometimes. The internet is a wealth of information on substitutions. Just google it. Here is an example.
I need cake flour for a recipe. Substitute 2 cups with 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup of cornstarch. Now I dont have one more ingredient in the house and I did not make a special trip.
Brown sugar is simply sugar with molasses. In pastry school we always made our own.
One more, this one will really come in handy for those of us making our own ranch dressing. For 1 cup buttermilk, use 1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice/white vinegar. Mix and let it sit a minute then add the rest of the ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment